St.Pölten - sights of Wonder
Historic wonders of the old town
Rathaus (City Hall)
Premiere landmark of the city. Several building styles discernable: Romanesque vaults, Gothic niches, Renaissance inscriptions, Baroque facade and Renaissance tower by Joseph Munggenast. Mayor´s office with Baroque stucco "Emperor" ceiling.
Former monastery of the Canons Regular of St.Augustine, newly build in the first half of the 17th century. A Cathedral and Diocese museum is on the second floor above the cloister yard.
Formerly a Romanesque basilica, adapted to the Baroque style by Jakob Prandtauer, Matthias Steinl and Joseph Munggenast. Frescoes and paintings by Daniel Gran, Thomas Friedrich Gedon, Bartolomeo Altomonte, Antonio Tassi and Tobias Pock. Romanesque rosary chapel. Romanesque Tower (77m/253 feet)
Institut der Englischen Fräulein
Built from 1707 onwards for half a century by Jakob Prandtauer and his workshop, featuring a Baroque palace façade which is one of the most beautiful in the whole of Lower Austria. Chapel interior with frescoes by Paul Troger and Bartolomeo Altomonte. Lourdes shrine.
Formerly a Carmelite Church. Rococco front. Side altar paintings by Johann Schmidt, a.k.a. “Kremser Schmidt".
Prandtauerkirche und Karmeliterhof
Former Carmelite Church. The Karmeliterhof convent was built in 1707 by Jakob Prandtauer from plans by the architect Martin Witwer.
Theatre of Lower Austria (Landestheater Niederösterreich)
The Lower Austria Province Theatre built 1820 by Josef Schwerdfeger. Modified and expanded in 1890 and again in 1968. Up until 2005 the City Theater. Since 2005 a pure spoken word stage.
The only city square preserved in its Baroque entirety. At its center is a modern marble sculpture.
It exists since 1545 and is therefore the oldest shop in St.Pölten.
Square characterized by important Baroque buildings featuring a central Mary column by Antonio Beduzzi. Daily market.
The most beautiful of all the Jugendstil edifices in St.Pölten. Erected for chief of surgery Herman Stöhr by Joseph Olbrich. Mural titled “Medicine” by Ernst Stöhr.
The only Jugenstil synagogue in Lower Austria. Richly painted with Wiener Werkstätte ornamental designs.
Highights of Modern architecture in the Landhaus (Government) and the Cultural District
House of Government (legislative and executive) of Lower Austria, erected by Ernst Hoffmann, engineer.
Concert hall and stage of international repute seating about 1.100 people. Built by the architect Klaus Kada and opened in 1997.
Museum of the Province of Lower Austria
Multimedia adventure-museum focusing on nature, art and local history. Built by Hans Hollein.
Der Klangturm (Tower of Sound)
Walk-in tone galleries on three floors, tone spheres and a viewing platform on top. Built by the architect Ernst Hoffmann.
Our free leaflet, "Your personal City Guide" (available in 14 languages), features a walking tour of the city (including a city map.)
Tourist information St.Pölten
Tel.: +43 2742 353354
Fax: +43 2742 333-2819